Bolton Shared Care Record
The Bolton Care Record is a new confidential computer record that will allow health and social care professionals directly involved in your care to access the most up to date information about you. These records are currently held separately and aren’t available across different health and social care services when they are needed.
It does this by sharing appropriate information from your medical and care records between health and social care services in Bolton. This means your GP, a specialist at the hospital, a district nurse, or a social care professional will have access to the information they need.
Information is already shared by phone and paper records across health and social care organisations. The Bolton Care Record will enable your information to be shared more accurately and more efficiently with those professionals directly involved in your care. This should improve the care you receive.
What information will be shared?
- Your address and telephone number
- Diagnosis list – to make sure your health or social care professional has an accurate and complete record of your care.
- Medications – so everyone treating you can see what medicines you’ve currently been prescribed.
- Allergies – to make sure you aren’t prescribed or given any medicines you could have an adverse reaction to.
- Test results – to speed up your treatment and care.
- Referrals, clinic letters and discharge information – to make sure the people caring for you have all the information they need about other treatment you’re having elsewhere.
The benefits for patients:
- Joined up care is safer care
- More time spent on you and your care, instead of going over the same information over and over again
- More effective record sharing helps services work better together, potentially reducing hospital stays so you can get home sooner.
Your questions answered...
Can anybody see my records?
No. Only health and care professionals directly involved in your care will see your Bolton Care Record and only with your consent. Your details won’t be made public or passed on to third parties not directly involved in your care.
How do I know my record is safe and secure?
By law, everyone working for the NHS and social care must respect your privacy and keep your information safe.
Can I access my Bolton Care Record?
Yes. Under the 1988 Data Protection Act you can request all information that an organisation holds about you.
Do I have to share my records?
You can choose not to have a Bolton Care Record, but sharing your medical and social care information through a Bolton Care Record will make it easier to provide the best care and support for you.
How do I opt out?
Your information will only be viewed with your consent. You can say no to any health or care professional who asks permission to view your information. You can also completely opt out and not have a Bolton Care Record. Contact your GP if you wish to opt out.
For more information, please visit the website by clicking on the below link: